Professor of Civil and Architectural Engineering and Mechanics
Dr. Chiu (PhD, Transportation Engineering, Univ. of Texas Austin 2002) is the Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics at the University of Arizona (UA) and the founder of Metropia, Inc. Dr. Chiu started his academic career as a well-known researcher in the area of simulation-based dynamic traffic assignment (DTA). Dr. Chiu has been a principal developer and consultant to FHWA on the Dynamic Traffic Assignment (DTA) program in the 2010s. One of the hallmark tools originating from Dr. Chiu’s research career is DynusT, a large-scale open source DTA model that is currently the most widely used DTA model internationally.
Dr. Chiu’s vision and leadership led to the development of Metropia in 2012 as an information and incentive-based personal mobility and transportation system management platform, bringing a revolutionary concept to future urban mobility management. Metropia utilizes real-time traffic and incident data and advanced traffic prediction and incentive algorithms to predict future traffic conditions and to use dynamically adjusted incentives as a mechanism to shift demand to less congested times, routes, and modes. The goal is to seamlessly and cost-effectively integrate multiple modes so that driving-alone is not the only option. Metropia plays a leadership role for two recent major Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) deployments in the US (Houston, Texas and Pima County, Arizona) funded by the Federal Highway Administration and Federal Transit Administration.
- Ph.D. Transportation Engineering
- University of Texas - Austin, Austin, Texas, United States
- M.S. Transportation Engineering
- Institute of Traffic and Transportationi, Taipei, Taiwan
- B.S. Civil Engineering
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2018 - Ongoing)
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2010 - 2018)
- University of Arizona (2006 - 2010)
- University of Texas at El Paso (2002 - 2006)
- Nortel Network (2000 - 2001)
- National Chiao-Tung University (1994 - 1995)
Traffic flowTravel demand forecastingBehavior analysisEmerging mobility technologies
Dynamic Traffic AssignmentMesoscopic traffic simulationEmerging urban mobility services and methodologiesBehavior toward the emerging mobility technologiesIncentive-related services, policy, strategies, and behavior responses
Traffic Flow+Capc Analys
CE 463 (Spring 2021)
CE 463 (Spring 2020)
CE 463 (Spring 2019)
CE 463 (Spring 2018)
CE 463 (Spring 2017)
CE 463 (Spring 2016)
CE 563 (Spring 2020)
CE 563 (Spring 2019)
CE 563 (Spring 2018)
CE 563 (Spring 2017)
CE 563 (Spring 2016)
Travel Demand Modeling
CE 469 (Fall 2019)
CE 469 (Fall 2018)
CE 469 (Fall 2017)
CE 469 (Fall 2016)
CE 569 (Fall 2019)
CE 569 (Fall 2018)
CE 569 (Fall 2017)
CE 569 (Fall 2016)
CE 596A (Fall 2019)
EM 596A (Fall 2019)
CE 599 (Spring 2020)
CE 599 (Fall 2019)
CE 599 (Spring 2019)
CE 599 (Fall 2017)
CE 599 (Summer I 2017)
CE 599 (Spring 2017)
CE 599 (Fall 2016)
CE 900 (Fall 2016)
CE 900 (Spring 2016)
CE 920 (Spring 2020)
CE 920 (Fall 2019)
CE 920 (Fall 2018)
CE 920 (Spring 2018)
CE 920 (Fall 2017)
CE 920 (Spring 2017)
CE 920 (Fall 2016)
CE 920 (Spring 2016)
- Jang, Y., Chiu, Y., & Zheng, H. (2013). Modeling Within-Day Activity Rescheduling Decisions under Time-Varying Network Conditions. In Advances in Dynamic Network Modeling in Complex Transportation Systems(pp 225--244). Springer New York.
- Chiu, Y., & Liu, H. X. (2008). Emergency Evacuation, Dynamic Transportation Models. In Encyclopedia of GIS(pp 261--267). Springer US.
- Hu, X., Chiu, Y., & Shelton, J. (2017). Development of a behaviorally induced system optimal travel demand management system. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 21(1), 12-25.
- Hu, X., Chiu, Y., Villalobos, J., & Nava, E. (2017). A Sequential Decomposition Framework and Method for Calibrating Dynamic Origin-Destination Demand in a Congested Network. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. doi:0.1109/TITS.2017.2661751
- Kim, S., Son, Y., Chiu, Y., Jeffers, M. A., & Yang, C. D. (2016). Impact of road environment on drivers’ behaviors in dilemma zone: Application of agent-based simulation. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 96, 329-340.
- Zargari, S. A., Mirzahossein, H., & Chiu, Y. (2016). Quick Link Selection Method by Using Pricing Strategy Based on User Equilibrium for Implementing an Effective Urban Travel Demand Management. PROMET-Traffic&Transportation, 28(6), 605-614.
- Zhu, L., & Chiu, Y. (2015). A Transportation Routing Map Abstraction Approach: Algorithm and Numerical Analysis. Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2528, 78-85.
- Khani, A., Bustillos, B., Noh, H., Chiu, Y., & Hickman, M. (2014). Modeling transit and intermodal tours in a dynamic multimodal network. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 21--29.
- Tian, Y., & Chiu, Y. (2014). A variable time-discretization strategies-based, time-dependent shortest path algorithm for dynamic traffic assignment. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 18(4), 339--351.
- Zheng, H., Chiu, Y., & Mirchandani, P. B. (2014). A heuristic algorithm for the earliest arrival flow with multiple sources. Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms in Operations Research, 13(2), 169--189.
- Zheng, H., Nava, E., & Chiu, Y. (2014). Measuring Networkwide Traffic Delay in Schedule Optimization for Work-Zone Planning in Urban Networks. Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on, 15(6), 2595--2604.
- Konduri, K. C., Pendyala, R. M., You, D., Chiu, Y., Hickman, M., Noh, H., Waddell, P., Wang, L., & Gardner, B. (2013). The application of an integrated behavioral activity-travel simulation model for pricing policy analysis. Data Science and Simulation in Transportation Research, 86.
- Machiani, S., Murray-Tuite, P., Jahangiri, A., Liu, S., Park, B., Chiu, Y., & Wolshon, B. (2013). No-notice evacuation management: Ramp closures under varying budgets and demand scenarios. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 27--37.
- Nassir, N., Hickman, M., Zheng, H., & Chiu, Y. (2013). APPENDIX B: NETWORK FLOW SOLUTION METHOD FOR OPTIMAL INTEGRATED TRAFFIC ROUTING AND SIGNAL TIMING TO EVACUATE URBAN NETWORKS WITH VARYING THREAT LEVELS. OPTIMAL INTEGRATED DYNAMIC TRAFFIC ASSIGNMENT AND SIGNAL CONTROL FOR EVACUATION OF LARGE TRAFFIC NETWORKS WITH VARYING THREAT LEVELS, 76.
- Stamos, I., Salanova, G., Mitsakis, E., Aifadopoulou, G., & Chiu, Y. (2013). On criticality assessment based evacuation modeling: empirical findings. Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering, 1(2), 148--152.
- Zheng, H., Chiu, Y., & Mirchandani, P. B. (2013). On the system optimum dynamic traffic assignment and earliest arrival flow problems. Transportation Science, 49(1), 13--27.
- Zhu, X., Hu, X., & Chiu, Y. (2013). Design of Driving Behavior Pattern Measurements Using Smartphone Global Positioning System Data. International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology, 2(4), 269--288.
- Hu, X., Zhu, X., Yuan, Y., Rehan, A., Chiu, Y., & Zmud, M. (2017, Jan 2017). A Multi-resolution Approach to Investigate the Impacts of Pre-planned Road Capacity Reduction Based on Smartphone GPS Trajectory Data-A Case Study of MoPac Expressway in Austin, Texas. In 96th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Koulakezian, A., Abdelgawad, H., Tizghadam, A., Chiu, Y., Abdulhai, B., & Leon-Garcia, A. (2017, Jan 2016). Robustness in Roadway Networks: A Hybrid Approach. In 96th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Zhu, L., Chiu, Y., & Chen, Y. (2017, Jan 2016). Traffic Analysis Network Abstraction Approach: Framework and Numerical Analysis. In 96th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Ariannezhad, A., Wu, Y., Chiu, Y., & Sun, A. (2016, Jan 2016). Incorporating Mode Choice into Safety Analysis in Transportation Analysis Zones. In 95th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Ranjbari, A., Chiu, Y., & Hickman, M. (2016, Jan 2016). Flexpress: A Flexible High-Speed Intercity Transit Service. In International Conference on Transportation and Development 2016, 513-524.
- Tian, Y., & Chiu, Y. (2015, January). Day-to-Day Market Power and Efficiency in Tradable Mobility Credits. In The 94th Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Zhu, L., & Chiu, Y. (2015, January). A Transportation Routing Map Abstraction Approach: Algorithm and Numerical Analysis. In The 94th Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Hu, X., Chiu, Y., Delgado, S., Zhu, L., Luo, R., Hoffer, P., & Byeon, S. (2014, January). Behavior insights for an incentive-based active demand management platform. In 93rd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC.
- Kim, S., Son, Y., Tian, Y., & Chiu, Y. (2014). Drivers' en-route divergence behavior modeling using extended belief-desire-intention (E-BDI) framework. In Simulation Conference (WSC), 2014 Winter, 344--355.
- Kim, S., Son, Y., Tian, Y., Chiu, Y., & Yang, C. D. (2014, January). Hierarchical En-Route Planning under the Extended Belief-Desire-Intention (E-BDI) Framework. In IIE Annual Conference. Proceedings, 547.
- Nassir, N., Hickman, M., Zheng, H., & Chiu, Y. (2014, January). Network Flow Solution Method for Optimal Integrated Traffic Routing and Signal Timing to Evacuate Urban Networks with Varying Threat Levels. In Transportation Research Board 93rd Annual Meeting.
- Tian, Y., & Chiu, Y. (2014, January). A Computational Efficient Approach to Retaining Zone Pair Travel Time Information in Dynamic Traffic Assignment for Activity-based Model Integration. In The 93rd Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Konduri, K. C., Pendyala, R. M., You, D., Chiu, Y., Hickman, M. D., Noh, H., Waddell, P., Wang, L., & Gardner, B. (2013, Jaanuary). Reflecting Impacts of Systemwide Pricing Strategies in an Integrated Continuous-Time Prism-Constrained Activity-Travel Simulator of Demand and Supply. In the 92nd Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Nassir, N., Zheng, H., Hickman, M., & Chiu, Y. (2013, January). Optimal Traffic Routing for Large-Scale Evacuation in Urban Networks with Various Threat Levels. In The 92nd Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Tokishi, J., & Chiu, Y. (2013, January). Evaluation and Improvement of Consistency of Hybrid and Multi-Resolution Traffic Simulation Models. In The 92nd Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Konduri, K. C., Pendyala, R. M., You, D., Chiu, Y., Hickman, M. D., Noh, H., Gardner, B., Waddell, P., & Wang, L. (2013, January). Network-Sensitive Transport Modeling Framework for Evaluating Impacts of Network Disruptions on Traveler Choices Under Varying Levels of User Information Provision. The 92nd Annual Meeting of TRB.
- Chiu, Y., Ma, Y., & Hu, X. (2014, May). Identifying Driving Risk Factors to Support Usage-Based Insurance using Smartphone Personalized Driving Data. NSF Workshop on Big Data Analytics.
- Ismart, D., Huffman, C., Chiu, Y., Dixit, V., & Matherly, D. (2014, January). WISE Software Users Guide. Transportation Research Board. http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/shrp2/SHRP2_S2-R11-RW-2.pdf
- Chiu, Y., Khani, A., Noh, H., Bustillos, B., & Hickman, M. (2013). Technical Report on SHRP 2 C10B Version of DynusT and FAST-TrIPs.
- Pesesky, L., Ismart, D., Huffman, C., Chiu, Y., Zheng, H., Nava, E., Dixit, V., Wolshon, B., Radwan, E., Sampson, W., & others, . (2012). Strategic approaches at the corridor and network level to minimize disruption from the renewal process.
- Sloboden, J., Lewis, J., Alexiadis, V., Chiu, Y., & Nava, E. (2012). Traffic Analysis Toolbox Volume XIV: Guidebook on the Utilization of Dynamic Traffic Assignment in Modeling.
- Chiu, Y., Bustillos, B. I., Papayannoulis, V., Hickman, M., Head, L., Wang, S., & Alexiadis, V. (2010). Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) Analysis, Modeling, and Simulation (AMS) for Minneapolis Site Model Calibration and Validation Report.
- Villalobos, J. A., Chiu, Y., & Mirchandani, P. B. (2007). Network Partitioning Algorithm for Spatially Scalable Dynamic Traffic Assignment System.
- Waller, S. T., Chiu, Y., Ruiz-Juri, N., Unnikrishnan, A., & Bustillos, B. (2007). Short Term Travel Time Prediction on Freeways in Conjunction with Detector Coverage Analysis.
- Chiu, Y., Logman, H., Chiu, M., Sunkara, A., & Haas, C. (2005). Guidebook for selecting cost-effective wireless communication technologies for intelligent transportation systems.
- Mahmassani, H., Sbayti, H., & Zhou, X. (2002). Dynasmart-p version 0.930. 0 user’s guide.
- Mahmassani, H., Huynh, A. A., Zhou, X., Chiu, Y., & Abdelghany, K. (2001). DYNASMART-P (version 0.926) User’s Guide.
- Mahmassani, H., Abdelghany, A., Chiu, Y., Abdelghany, K., Huynh, N., & Zhou, X. (2000). DYNASMART-P, volume II.
- I2 Award - Information Technology
- University of Arizona, Spring 2015