The University of Arizona has been training civil engineers since 1905, when the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering degree program was first authorized. The UA College of Engineering and Mines was created nine years later.
In 1965, the Civil Engineering Building was completed and has been the home of the department ever since. CAEM celebrated its centennial in 2005 with the “100 Years of Building Our Foundation” gala.
Formerly known as Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, the department changed its name in 2018 to reflect the inclusion of architectural engineering and is now Civil and Architectural Engineering and Mechanics.