Professor of Civil and Architectural Engineering and Mechanics
Lianyang Zhang holds the Delbert R. Lewis Distinguished Professorship and is the Director of the SMART (Sustainable Materials and Recycling Technologies) Laboratory in the Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering and Mechanics at the University of Arizona. His areas of expertise include rock characterization, ground control, deep foundations, waste recycling and utilization, sustainable and green construction materials, and eco-friendly dust control. Dr. Zhang has authored two books, co-edited two conference proceedings, and published more than 150 peer-reviewed technical papers in international journals and conferences. He is an Associate Editor of the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, a Managing Editor of Underground Space, and sits on the Editorial Board of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering and two other international journals. He is the Chair of the ASCE Rock Mechanics Committee and serves on the ASCE Geoenvironmental Committee and the Board of the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics. He was a Co-Chair of the 2014 GeoShanghai International Conference and was elected to the ASCE Fellow in 2019. Dr. Zhang holds a BS in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering from Shanghai JiaoTong University, an MS in Geotechnical Engineering from Tongji University, and an MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering and a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering from MIT.
- Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- M.S. Geotechnical Engineering
- Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- B.S. Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Soil Mechanics; Rock Mechanics; Foundation Engineering; Earth Retaining Structures; Ground Improvement; Geoenvironmental Engineering; and Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
Rock mechanics and rock engineering; Pile foundations; Geotechnical earthquake engineering; Sustainable geotechnics and geoenvironmental engineering; Waste recycling and utilization; Sustainable and green construction materials; and Eco-friendly dust control.
CE 343 (Spring 2020)
CE 440 (Fall 2020)
CE 440 (Fall 2019)
CE 440 (Fall 2018)
CE 440 (Fall 2017)
CE 440 (Spring 2017)
CE 440 (Spring 2016)
CE 540 (Fall 2020)
CE 540 (Fall 2019)
CE 540 (Fall 2018)
CE 540 (Fall 2017)
CE 540 (Spring 2017)
CE 540 (Spring 2016)
Earth Struc Geotech Engr
CE 441 (Spring 2020)
CE 441 (Spring 2019)
CE 441 (Fall 2017)
CE 441 (Fall 2016)
CE 541 (Spring 2020)
CE 541 (Spring 2019)
CE 541 (Fall 2017)
CE 541 (Fall 2016)
CE 442 (Spring 2018)
CE 442 (Spring 2016)
CE 542 (Spring 2018)
CE 542 (Spring 2016)
CE 445 (Fall 2018)
CE 445 (Spring 2017)
CE 545 (Fall 2018)
CE 545 (Spring 2017)
Geotech Earthquake Engr
CE 446 (Fall 2019)
CE 546 (Fall 2019)
CE 596A (Fall 2016)
EM 596A (Fall 2016)
CE 599 (Spring 2020)
CE 599 (Fall 2019)
CE 599 (Spring 2019)
CE 599 (Fall 2018)
CE 599 (Spring 2018)
CE 599 (Fall 2017)
CE 599 (Spring 2016)
CE 900 (Fall 2017)
CE 920 (Fall 2020)
CE 920 (Spring 2020)
CE 920 (Fall 2019)
CE 920 (Spring 2019)
CE 920 (Fall 2018)
CE 920 (Spring 2018)
CE 920 (Fall 2017)
CE 920 (Spring 2017)
CE 920 (Fall 2016)
CE 920 (Spring 2016)
Licensure & Certification
- Professional Engineer (PE), Massachusetts (2000)
- Li, Z., & Zhang, L. (2016). Fly ash-based geopolymer with kappa-carrageenan biopolymer. In Biopolymers and Biotech Admixtures for Eco-Efficient Construction Materials(pp 173-192).
- Ahmari, S., & Zhang, L. (2014). The properties and durability of alkali-activated masonry units. In Handbook of Alkali-activated Cements, Mortars and Concretes(pp 643--660). Woodhead Publishing.
- Ahmari, S., & Zhang, L. (2014). The properties and durability of mine tailings-based geopolymeric masonry blocks. In Eco-efficient Masonry Bricks and Blocks: Design, Properties and Durability(p. 289). Woodhead Publishing.
- Chen, R., Ding, X., Lai, H., & Zhang, L. (2019). Improving dust resistance of mine tailings using green biopolymer. Environmental Geotechnics.
- Gur, S., Sadat, M. R., Frantziskonis, G., Bringuier, S., Zhang, L., & Muralidharan, K. (2019). The effect of grain-size on fracture of polycrystalline silicon carbide: A multiscale analysis using a molecular dynamics-peridynamics framework. Computational Materials Science, 159, 341-348.
- Lai, H., Zhang, J., Zhang, L., Chen, R., & Yang, W. (2019). A new method based on centrifuge model test for evaluating ground settlement induced by tunneling. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 23, 2426-2436.
- Manjarrez, L., Nikvar-Hassani, A., Shadnia, R., & Zhang, L. (2019). Experimental Study of Geopolymer Binder Synthesized with Copper Mine Tailings and Low-Calcium Copper Slag. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING, 31(8).
- Ren, X., & Zhang, L. (2019). Experimental Study of Geopolymer Concrete Produced from Waste Concrete. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING, 31(7).
- Wang, P., Shi, Y., Zhang, L., & Li, Y. (2019). Effect of structural parameters on atomization characteristics and dust reduction performance of internal-mixing air-assisted atomizer nozzle. PROCESS SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION, 128, 316-328.
- Wang, P., Tan, X., Zhang, L., Li, Y., & Liu, R. (2019). Influence of particle diameter on the wettability of coal dust and the dust suppression efficiency via spraying. PROCESS SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION, 132, 189-199.
- Zhang, F., An, M., Zhang, L., Fang, Y. i., & Elsworth, D. (2019). The Role of Mineral Composition on the Frictional and Stability Properties of Powdered Reservoir Rocks. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH, 124(2), 1480-1497.
- Zhang, F., Yin, Z., Chen, Z., Maxwell, S., Wu, Y., & Zhang, L. (2019). Fault Reactivation and Induced Seismicity During Multistage Hydraulic Fracturing: Microseismic Analysis and Geomechanical Modeling. SPE Journal.
- Madadi, A., Eskandari-Naddaf, H., Shadnia, R., & Zhang, L. (2018). Characterization of ferrocement slab panels containing lightweight expanded clay aggregate using digital image correlation technique. Construction and Building Materials, 180, 464-474.
- Madadi, A., Eskandari-Naddaf, H., Shadnia, R., & Zhang, L. (2018). Digital image correlation to characterize the flexural behavior of lightweight ferrocement slab panels. Construction and Building Materials, 189, 967-977.
- Manjarrez, L., & Zhang, L. (2018). Utilization of copper mine tailings as road base construction material through geopolymerization. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(9), 04018201.
- Ren, X., & Zhang, L. (2018). Experimental study of interfacial transition zones between geopolymer binder and recycled aggregate. Construction and Building Materials, 167, 749-756.
- Sadat, M. R., Bringuier, S., Muralidharan, K., Frantziskonis, G., & Zhang, L. (2018). Atomic-scale dynamics and mechanical response of geopolymer binder under nanoindentation. Computational Materials Science, 142, 227-236.
- Sadat, M. R., Muralidharan, K., & Zhang, L. (2018). Reactive molecular dynamics simulation of the mechanical behavior of sodium aluminosilicate geopolymer and calcium silicate hydrate composites. Computational Materials Science, 150, 500-509.
- Manjarrez, L., & Zhang, L. (2019, November). Using DEM to study the behavior of granular soils under cyclic shear loading. In Geotechnical Engineering in the XXI Century: Lessons Learned and Future Challenges, Proceedings of XVI Pan-American Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (XVI PCSMGE), 611-619.
- An, M., Zhang, F., Zhang, L., & Yang, F. (2018, May). Effects of normal stress and clay content on the frictional properties of reservoir rocks under fully saturated conditions. In Proceedings of GeoShanghai 2018 International Conference: Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 228-239.
- Hu, J., & Zhang, L. (2018, May). Prediction of long-term settlements of foundations supporting high and heavy storage tanks based on short-term field measurements. In Proceedings of GeoShanghai 2018 International Conference: Advances in Soil Dynamics and Foundation Engineering, 654-661.
- Hu, J., Wu, X., & Zhang, L. (2018, May). Reevaluation of soil compression properties for an aluminum refinery plant. In Proceedings of GeoShanghai 2018 International Conference: Fundamentals of Soil Behaviors, 354-361.
- Wang, X., Zhu, H., & Zhang, L. (2018, October). A three-dimensional damage-softening statistical constitutive model for rock based on GZZ criterion. In 10th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium and The ISRM International Symposium for 2018, 10.
- Yin, Z., Zhang, F., Chen, Z., Zhang, L., & Maxwell, S. (2018, Number). Geomechanical modeling of fault reactivation and induced seismicity by the flowback of hydraulic fracturing fluid. In CouFrac - International Conference on Coupled Processes in Fractured Geological Media: Observation, Modeling, and Application, 4.
- Zhang, F., Yin, Z., Chen, Z., Maxwell, S., Zhang, L., & Wu, Y. (2018, August). Fault reactivation and induced seismicity during multi-stage hydraulic fracturing: field microseismic analysis and geomechanical modeling. In International Conference on Applied Energy, 6.
- An, M., Zhang, F., & Zhang, L. (2017, August). Experimental investigation of frictional healing and frictional creep behavior of typical reservoir rocks in China. In The Chinese Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (CCTAM-2017), 14.
- Ren, X., & Zhang, L. (2016). The Complete Recycling of Waste Concrete to Produce Geopolymer Concrete. In Geo-Chicago 2016, 103--111.
- Zhang, L. (2016, June). Characterization of rock masses using rock quality designation (RQD). In Transportation Research Congress (TRC) 2016, 6.
- Ding, X., Zhang, L., & others, . (2015). Numerical Study of Cracking Process using a new Contact Model. In 49th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium.
- Zhang, Q., Zhu, H. H., Zhang, L. Y., & others, . (2015). A new 3D Constitutive Model for Rock Mass Tunnel. In 49th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium.
- Chen, R., & Zhang, L. (2014). Mitigation of Mine Tailings Dust with Green Biopolymer. In Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers@ Geo-characterization and Modeling for Sustainability, 2198--2205.
- Ding, X., & Zhang, L. (2014). A New Contact Model for DEM Analysis of Rock. In 48th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium.
- Parameswaran, K., Ekholm, J., & Zhang, L. (2014). Evaluation of Mine Tailings Dust Control. In Geoenvironmental Engineering, GeoShanghai 2014, 80--89.
- Best Paper Award
- GeoShanghai International Conference 2018, Summer I 2018
- Recognition Award for Outstanding Contribution to GeoShanghai International Conference
- GeoShanghai Organizing Committee, Summer I 2018